The Go With The Flow Gaisce Adventure Journey – leading to the Gaisce Bronze Award – is a two day canoeing adventure on the River Barrow located in the Carlow/ Kilkenny area.
With a strong emphasis on water safety, risk awareness and mutual responsibility, the Go With The Flow Gaisce Adventure Journey is the ideal combination of fun and learning against a background of real challenges posed by an unfamiliar environment.
I took 29 students on a two day Gaisce adventure. The guys were so good with the group and looked after us all so well. The students had an amazing time and one of them even commented that he found it better than Dunmore East!! A fantastic time was had by all.
Day 1: Bagenalstown to Borris
We will canoe downriver to Bun na Amhan ( near Borris, Co. Carlow) – shooting weirs, regaling stories, learning about the history and even the operating the famous locks on the Barrow Navigation
Overnight at hostel accomodation in Borris ( full kitchen facilities)
Day 2 : Borris to Graignuenamanagh
Canoe downriver to Graiguenamanagh through Clashganny
Over the two days you will learn to :
- Learn how to plan, prepare, undertake and complete the journey as a part of a team
- Working as part as a team, understanding group dynamics, their own role and the role of others in a team
- Recognise the needs and strengths of others
- Developing and enhancing leadership skills
- Improving planning and organisational ability and attention to detail
- Learning to make real decisions and accept real consequences
- Obtaining a sense of achievement and satisfaction by overcoming challenges and obstacles
- Developing self-reliance and independence
- Experience and appreciating the outdoor environment and gaining the appropriate knowledge and skills to journey safely in that environment
- Reflect on personal performanc
The Adventure Journey includes:
- A 25Km river canoe paddle over two days with our qualified and experienced instructors.
- An overnight stay at local scout hall or hostel including full use of Kitchen facilities.